Saturday, June 12, 2010

Is Detroit Black?

County candidate says his race a hindrance

Laura Berman: After almost three decades as an elected official from northwest Detroit, Wayne County Commissioner Burton Leland is the self-described "last white man standing." In his race for re-election, he is portraying himself as a veteran public servant being disparaged unfairly because of his race.

Leland's major opponent, McCormick, is an African-American political neophyte who is hopping mad over his flier that reads "There are some folks who say they have a problem voting for me because I am white and Detroit is an African American city," it reads.
"If there are those who won't support me because of the color of my skin, I must accept it. But you don't have to."
Adolph Mongo, a Detroit political consultant who earned notoriety playing on racial politics, says Leland is "trying to portray himself as this poor little white guy."
...............True or not, the racism charge against McCormick is working against her.
..............
Although Leland's the politician with the power of incumbency, deep connections and the ability to out-fundraise her, it's McCormick, the challenger, who finds herself on the defensive.
"He's a social worker and he's using psychology," she says, with frustration.
"He's saying, 'I'm a white guy who has been serving the community and I want to help you and now certain people are judging me on the color of my skin and not the content of my character.' "

span.fullpost {display:inline;}

No comments: