Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tony Judt .. a Jew Dies.

I have never read Tony Judt and did not even know he was such a critical figure in modern Judaism.  Then he died.  

“More than I sometimes understand, I think, I am both writing in and about the tradition and spirit of Jewish cosmopolitanism: caught somewhere between Marx’s ‘ruthless criticism of everything existing’; pil-pul; zahor!; bearing critical witness; social responsibility; and perhaps a certain davka. I’ve never written about this directly, but I think it informs the tone – and probably the subject matter – of much of my work. I also makes me smile when American ultras accuse me of being ‘un-Jewish’ in my criticism of Israel, etc. It seems to me that, for good and ill, I am decidedly Jewish and in a long and worthy tradition.”

Tony Judt
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

No comments: