Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Sound Politics: Comment on Lights in the Darkness

Sound Politics: Comment on Lights in the Darkness

Correction the odds of Ms. Palin's have a Fown's baby were about 1/40.

So tell me Mike H and others here, would your compassion and support for this choice be the same if she were some HIV infected Mom? Or is that different?

BTW, having decded to make this babay (assuming Track is not a love child), are you aware that his parents do not intend to devote their own time to the special care he will need? Apparently the plan is for Palin's sistet to be the care giver.

Look, the issue here is not caring for a Down's child or Ms. Palin's belief in the moment of life. The issue is with her assumptionj that her pleasure in having a child (or in a having a moment of sex) outweighed the all to real risk she had assumed when she commited to a right to life.

FWIW, my wife and I gave a lot of thought to this before having our lids (i our thirties). Fortunately both are fine, but I honestly do not know what I would have wanted if, like Ms. Pain we learned that the bay was to be a Down's lid (odds were then 1/500).

At the time we had not arrived at a clear position on right to life. As a scientist I likes the argument that a conceptus is "life" since all the unique information for an individual comes into being when the to half genomes of the sperm and egg become one. Later, I cam to feel this was not life, in part because I am aware that the consequences of such a belief would require a lot of effort to block the huge (1/3) incidence of spontaneous abortions.

I also began to feel that parents who choose to have a seriously afflicted conceptus are also choosing not to give birth to some other individual, of equal merit by any standard, who might have been created if they tried again.

Frankly, I feel sorry for this kid and hope Track, now a human being like anyone else, will have the good luck of finding someone with the care and time t give him a chance at a good life.





Here is the beginning of my post. And here is the rest of it.
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

2 comments:

hschinske said...

I think you mean Trig. Track is the Palins' oldest son.

SM Schwartz said...

Tx,

I lost track.