To the Republicans ...
I voted for Rossi. I do not like CG for a number of reasons. I want to see two parties ......
Rossi has to cut his ties to Guzzo asap. The things this old man says may be signs of senility, but as long as Rossi is tagged with them, Dino's last name might have to be saur.
Rossi has to address the party melt down as recently reviewed by Darryl at Hominid Views. The gain in numbers in the Democratic party is fragile, it is a reaction to the lack of credibility engendered by Bush and by any Publican willing to remain in the Charge of the Light Brigade.
The new Demoes as well as Independents WANT two parties but the remaining fans of Bushism are mostly living in Bahrain. While foreign policy is NOT the Governor's job, party unity is. As candidate for Governor, Rossi would also be running for head of a NEW WA Republican party.
What is fascinating is that despite Darryl's showing pof huge losses in registered Publicans, the gap between DR and CG remains very small. What this means is real terms is Rossi can win by supporting moderates like Olympia Snow and Schwartznegger, coming out forecelfully against the Bushist favoritism, and separating his religion from his party.
The latter issue is a biggy. I admire Mr. Rossi for his beliefs even though I am fully in support of abortion, stem cells, etc. Rossi shold paint himself as consistently driven by high mjoral standards AND repecting others who differ from him. This contrasts with CG's last campaign.
One reason I voted against CG was her willingness to tar DR for his beleifs .. as opposed to his actions. Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter should serve as roles models for DR. I beleive that Christians admire these men for their religious commitment and place that above specific issues such as abortion.
Rossi needs to portray his religion as a moral compass rather than some doctrinaire ideology. Meeting with a strong Christina liberal leader, such as Robert Jeffrey, and untiing with him on shared oral issues would be briliant. Some specific issues that would help:
1. Removal of the Gonzo the AG. He has lost the public trust. Enlisting McKay, fired Fed. Porosecutor, as a suporter is a must.
2. Public disownment of the Vaderesque Veep. Same for Rove and Chaney. Blame them for misleading the idealistic but dim witted Prexy.
3. Support for non-marriage alternatives for couples regardless of sex.
4. Support for real school reform including tax dollars to fulfill the constitution. Oppose the Teacher's union on issues such as charter schools and master pay. This is a win-win. The demoes are stuck with the NEA the way the Publicans are stuck with Pat Robertson. The puboic is wiling to pay bit not for featherbedding.
5. A State policy on the border and on immigration .. open borders, encourage immigrnats for areas where we need more workers, calmp dopwn on employers.
6. A REAL effort to support the UW and WSU. The unmined loyalty of the Cougs and Huskies is vast. The state increasingly is leaving these premier school to their own deserts or encouraging the develoment of fourth rate branch campuses.
7. A Schwartznegger, BUSINESS like effort at tax reform instead of tax cuts.
More to follow .........