Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Republican Picnic







SJ DOES try to be non partisan. It is difficult to do this when the Republicans accept the infusion of support from the Fox channel and the assorted bizarre birthists, racists, and healthcare=Maoismists.

Anyhow I did go the KC Republican picnic to listen and meet folks.

Unfortunately the chair of the King County Party sort of recognized me and wanted me to tell her "why" I was there. I introduced myself as a non-partisan American who does political commentary ... but I do not think this was to much avail as her level of superstition about anyone who might not equate patriotism with the GOP was , well nothing new. To tell the truth I have seen this on tho left before ... back during VietNam. Today's Republicans remind me all to much of the radicals of that era!

Anyhow, I got there late and only got to hear a bit. The best was listening to Congressman Reichert. As I keep telling my DL friends, this guy is for real. He is .. well sane. I would have preferred Darcy, but Reichert is an example of a residual rational component that someday the GOP will need. That said, he mostly complained that the governing party Democrats were not listening to the Republicans. He ought to visit England where there is real Party excusion! From my POV, the Republicans SHOULD be playijng a role, but they can not do so as long as the rational memebers of the party are ties to Glen Beck and co. I wish someone as sane as Reichert would run in our District against Jim McDermott ...

I did have a rational talk with a few people. They took me on after the chair recognized me(I had hoped to be left alone to photograph) and we talked about healthcare. The crew ranged from the usual nuts with the death panels and Obama as Hitler to some folks who were convinced that we could solve the problem by getting rid of lawyers and illegal aliens.

Also met an interesting fellow who shares my Gailizianer roots and another guy who, like me is a Navy vet. It is so sad when you meet good people who are emeshed in somethijng as sick as the current incarnation of the GOP.

The oddest topic was why we (the USA) tax businesses by making health care a business expense? This guy, a small businessman, said he WANTED to pay for his employees' healthcare because it helped him compete for good employees!

I wish Reichert had the honesty to stand up and reprove the nuts. Telling these folks that we can not tax every American $6000 in higher health costs, make employers pay this, AND compete in a global economy! One point I made is that a good answer in the US, should protect our excellence .. Swedish, the Cancer Care Alliance, .. the current bills do not address these real issues. On the hand, his colleague, Senator Grassley has just added tinder to the fire .. supporting the nutty idea that these bills mean death panels. And, coming from the tolerant NW, how can he sit there when Senator Sessions displays his sort of bigotry beacuse a Latina is arogant enough to think her culture is a credential for appointment to the Supreme Court? . Is Sessions fit to be the ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee?

When moderate Republicans lack the courtage to call out their own party on this sort of craziness, the GOP may be headed for the dumpster. Americans deserve better!

The weirdest part of the affair was the presence of Edward Nixon, the FOB (Friend of Bebe Rebozo) who was part of the end of days of his brother's admin. The guy looks like a character of the real Nixon. He has written a book, apparently on how unfair the left has been to Nixon, and begrudging all his family might have done for the country if ....

BTW, if the KC Chair reads this, Yes, you do owe me $100. I attended a reception your guys gave for Karl Rove. After clearing my attendance with your office, making my identity and my intent of bringing a camera clear, several times and sending in my money, I arrived to be excluded. They never returned my fee either. So, yeh you owe me $100.
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

3 comments:

The Bellevue Catholic said...

Get a life pal. I am sure your 3 readers loved your review. By the way did you pay the suggested donation amount for the 4 hotdogs you ate big boy?

Anonymous said...

I see sensationalism as bad .. whether it comes from the left, as in the recent anti-Catholic campaign by the "Death with Dignity" crowd, or the radical religious right with their crazed claims about healthcare.

BTW, if you want an ally in dissing SJ, look up"thehim" at Effin Unsound. He went ballistic about my opposition to the Death with Dignity Law. What is an ethical guy to do?

Anonymous said...

BTW ...

SJ ate one dog, if you want to send him a bill, he will be pleased to deduct it from thed $100 the KCGOP owes him.

SJ ... from another ID.