Sunday, December 16, 2007

Al Jazeera English - News - Back From Guantanamo

Al Jazeera English - News - Back From Guantanamo: "NEWS AFRICA

Back from Guantanamo
By Mohamed Vall in Khartoum, Sudan





Rahma is now six but was only a few months old
when her father was taken to Guantanamo Bay
Adil Hassan Hamad can scarcely believe he is back with his family in Sudan, because only days ago he was still in the US's Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba.

'I am very, very happy and not believing this,' Adil tells Al Jazeera, 'That I am here with my family - even now I feel this could all be taken away at any moment.'

In 2002, Adil and another man, Salim Mahmoud Adam, were picked up from their homes in Peshawar, Pakistan, by Pakistani troops and were later handed over to the US.

Most of his children were babies when their father, who was then working as the director of a hospital in Afghanistan, was taken to Guantanamo.

His daughter, Rahma, now six, was only a few months old when he was taken and now her father seems like a stranger.

'She knows I am her father,' says Adil, balancing Rahma on his knee and holding her close. 'But she's not used to me.'"

Here is the beginning of my post. And here is the rest of it.
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

No comments: