Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sunny Jim needs Dough


Gmail - Supreme Court Decision FINAL! - stephenm.schwartz@gmail.com: "I let the public know about what Gingrich was up to then. I’ve taken a lot of heat for speaking out. With right-wing Republicans devoting so much effort to punishing me, I must be doing something right! Thank you so much for your past support. I have raised a significant amount of money to pay for legal expenses. However, the amount that has been set aside will not cover all costs and fees. I now need your help to finally put this case to rest. www.McDermottLegalTrust.com. A final hearing to set the costs for this case is scheduled. John Boehner has paid out over a million dollars to his attorneys so far - the final settlement for this case will be a large one. I need your help. My hope is that large numbers of people will respond to this urgent request for assistance so that all legal costs can be met immediately! Jim McDermott Portrait Your support is urgently needed and will be appreciated. Jim McDermott Signature Jim McDermott P.S. Please send your contribution today! The Boehner legal team does not rest."

I will not be donating to this cause unless it is also part of an agreement by McD to retire. It is not that I disrespect his use of a safe seat as a platform to speak out on liberal and anti-war issues. Actually, even when I disagree with McD, I am happy that we have some congresspeople who actually use their positions to promote ideas.

That said, a Congressman should also work for his District. McD is largely in visible here in Seattle, While I KNOW where he stands on most issues belonging to the liberal canon, I have NEVER heard or read anything by this guy on local issues that are affected b y national policies.

McD is invisible on high tech immigration, public transportation, biomed. research, and higher education. If he has any stand on local moral issues .. from sorts subsidies for the Sonics to the need for public transport, those stands are very quiet. Yet each of these are key issues for his community.

Being a Congressman should be more than using the position OT speak one's mind on highly visible matters. Being a Congressman from a safe district should mean using that gift as a platform to to help your constituents and .. even more important .. provide leadership. If Jim can't take the time to consider what we his people want, then perhaps he should show imginative leadership in toigh areas needing innovatuin ... something more than mealy mouthing the Israeli/Palestinian issue would be welcome. An energy proposal that is not pork for corn farmers woulod be nivce. A real national security plan ,...


Jimk should pick a successor.

See post by Joel Connelly.


span.fullpost {display:inline;}

4 comments:

Nikchick said...

I could not disagree more with your take on Jim McDermott's responsibilities as our United States representative. I have written McDermott on numerous issues of concern to me on a national level and his office has never failed to get back to me, to provide information on an issue, or to provide further explanation or rationale for his positions on issues (should I need that).

I've seen Jim McDermott appear at many functions that resonate with both local and national importance. Remember AIDS anyone? The work that he's doing and the issues that he IS paying attention to are far more important to me, as his constituent, than any need I might feel to hear him weigh in on the stupid, greedy money grab sports subsidies or other local Seattle-style mudslinging pass times that result in nothing but more mudslinging (crumbling viaduct, anyone?).

I haven't felt this lucky to have someone standing up for liberal, progressive values on a national level since Paul Wellstone was my Senator. People can always find something more to ask but even Mother Theresa didn't help every starving child! Until McDermott drops the ball in some way, I see no need to start beating the drum for a successor.

SM Schwartz said...

Sighhh ....

If we elected Congress as a debating society I might agree with you. But, an EFFECTIVE congressperson must do more tha express his opinions, he must get things done.

Even on the issues you cite, I am skeptical that McD has much impact. He has poor ctee assignments for a person of his seniority and, the hte best of my knowledge, has not been a major player in legislation providing funds to the NIH.

Moreover, there is a difference between dressing up as a liberal and actually doing the work to lead and convince others. McD is almost invisible on the local level in creating the kind of leadership we badly need. Here area few examples:

1. WA state is hit by a double whammy by the immigration mess. We need reform both so that the best folks can come and work at MS and the Lazy B and so that our farms can hire workers.

McD has had zero impact on these issues. Frankly, I do not even know where he stands.

2. Taxes. The WA state tax situation is bizar and a large part of the problem is aneed for the leaders to educate the public on tax reform. If a safe Congressman won't speak up who will?

3. Education.UW This is an issue that is both local and national. When di McD last talk to the faculty at UW (hint .. not in my memory) or stand up for an alternative to No Child Left Behind?

4. His Xmas Fuck-Up. If you read this blog you will know I am anything BUT a Christain. BUT, the purpose of insulting Chrisitans .. he was one of 9, beats me. How much harder does this sort of infantile display put us from dealing with hard issues where we want their support?

6. Northwest Apartheid .. I see you are a newcomer. Have you noticed how well we integrate with the indigenous folk here?? Take some time to vist the squamish reservation or Daybreak star and then tell me what Jim has done for the rights of the indigenous folks here?


Am I being unfair?? Am I just pushing the issues I care about? OK, here is an offer ..

I would like to see a list of major issues where Jim HAS had an impact .. either on specific legislation or on changing local or national opinion. You send it to me, with links, and I will be happy to post it and eat my words. (so to speak).

OTOH ... imagine the kind of candidates we might have if Jimbo did step down .... Goldy? Norm Rice? Peter Steionbrueck? Ron Sims? Ed Murry?

In the meantime, lets work for Darcy!

Nikchick said...

Thanks for being patient with me jumping into your blog like this and being willing to address my comments! I'm not trying to be exasperating, I swear.

McD has had zero impact on these issues. Frankly, I do not even know where he stands.

Have you asked him where he stands? Have you told him that these issues where you feel his leadership is lacking are very important to you? I've found his office to be very responsive.

4. His Xmas Fuck-Up

Evidence of my personal failings, I'm sure, but I applauded that anyone was willing to give the finger to the excessive ridiculousness of the Recognition of Christianity resolution. I'm not crazy about our representatives spending any time on this kind of empty pandering but I can at least understand the impulse to make such statements in relation to our society's minorities. Does the nation's dominant religion, whose holy holidays are already national government holidays, really need a unanimous resolution from our Congress? At a time when members of minority religions can't even be allowed the courtesy of offering the opening prayer (and let's not even get into why there's an opening prayer in the government in the first place)without facing Christian protest? His vote inflames only those who were already inflamed and wouldn't work with him anyway.

Northwest Apartheid

I'm coming up on 11 years in Seattle but having spent my teens and early twenties in Minnesota, the issue of justice for America's indigenous people was the first to awaken my social conscience. It's an overwhelming issue. Even so, my response to "...what Jim has done for the rights of the indigenous folks here?" is still "What do you think he should be doing?"

I wish I had time to dig into your challenge. It could be that my perceptions are wrong and Jim McDermott is nothing more than an entrenched incumbent and national laughingstock who isn't really providing for his constituents. I could be that we have better options and are actively suffering for lack of a decent rep.


In the meantime, lets work for Darcy!


Hey, now there's a sentiment where we're total agreement! Happy to link arms on that one.

Thanks again for digging in for some discussion with me.

SM Schwartz said...

Tx for the reply.

I have talked with McD but found him rather self centered, I do not doubt that his staff writes good letters, but to what effect?

Also, yo be fully clear, I am not arguing that McD should take up my agenda. I just do not see him as very effective in any agenda that most of us care a lot about. BTW, though I never know Wellstone, I have heard hew as far more effective than McD.

I also want to put in 2 cents for leadership. I am pretty much down on the guv and Cantwell for the same things. It is not just the issue of what THEY get done, but how much they help all of us come to decisions. If I wanted to hire someone to run Wastate, i might well pick this guv. But I would be a fool, having seen her stule, to see Gregoire ever show the lind of leadership we need if we are ever solve Wastate's problems with taxes, native rights, etc.

Finally .. come join us at DL. the beer's cold, the atmosphere is friendly!