Monday, December 10, 2007

Bush Watch: The Best and the Brightest


Bush's Press Secretary- washingtonpost.com: "Still looking for that last-minute Christmas gift for White House press secretary Dana Perino? May we recommend a gift certificate for the forthcoming book on the Cuban Missile Crisis by our colleague Michael Dobbs, 'One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War,' due out next summer? Appearing on National Public Radio's light-hearted quiz show 'Wait, Wait . . . Don't Tell Me,' which aired over the weekend, Perino got into the spirit of things and told a story about herself that she had previously shared only in private: During a White House briefing, a reporter referred to the Cuban Missile Crisis -- and she didn't know what it was.

"I was panicked a bit because I really don't know about . . . the Cuban Missile Crisis," said Perino, who at 35 was born about a decade after the 1962 U.S.-Soviet nuclear showdown. "It had to do with Cuba and missiles, I'm pretty sure."

So she consulted her best source. "I came home and I asked my husband," she recalled. "I said, 'Wasn't that like the Bay of Pigs thing?' And he said, 'Oh, Dana.' "

"
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

No comments: