Saturday, September 29, 2007

Freeman Dyson, global warming, biotechnology, evolution, science and religion | Salon Books

Freeman Dyson, global warming, biotechnology, evolution, science and religion | Salon Books: "Sept. 29, 2007 | In his new collection of essays, 'A Many-Colored Glass,' renowned physicist Freeman Dyson turns his thoughts to do-it-yourself biotech and breeding one's own pet lizard, the fallacies of global warming science, science fiction (with a tip of the hat to recently departed Madeleine L'Engle) and the importance of biology to the future of religion. To Dyson, a deeper understanding of the human brain means a better understanding of theology and perhaps more tolerance for those with different beliefs."

"You've mentioned that you believe in God. How would you characterize your religion?

For me, religion is much more about a community of people than about belief. It's fine literature and music. As far as I can tell, people who belong to my church don't necessarily believe anything. Certainly we don't talk about that much. I suppose I'm a better Jew than I am a Christian. Jewish religion is much more a matter of community than it is of belief, and I think that's true of us Christians to a great extent, too."

span.fullpost {display:inline;}

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freeman Dyson is Jewish?

SM Schwartz said...

Isn't everybody?