Saturday, September 15, 2007

Welcome to PopeForCouncil.com


Richard Pope for County Council
I dn not vote in Richard's district but I will contribute to his campaign. He is a very atypical pol. Hving shared beer with him, I realize he is sincere and thoughtful .. actually qualified. Something few who run for these offices today can claim.

In a conventional year his candidacy would not occur. BUT, he will be running against a flawed candidate with drunk driving and diploma problems from a Reoublican party that is itself now deeply flawed. These races are so hard to figure out ... the media tell us nothing, so it is hard to find out who anyone is.

OTOH she has lots of endorsements. and her web site does comment on a lot of imortant issues.

I hope Richard runs the kind of campaign that gives us all some facts. It would be good, for example, to know how the county's costs are proportioned amongst the various people in its borders. For example, does the Boeing field enclave pay its way? How does the Eastiside deal with urban sprawl or, for that matter with Seattle's emergence as a bedroom for Eastside jobs? As the unincorporated area of the County shrinks, how will this effect the efficency of the county as a government unit?

A huge issue, IMHO, is the need for true regional transportation. Our economic future depends on North South commericial traffic through a very narrow corridor and the future of that traffic will be via the Eastside because Seattle is maxed out. Do we have a regional transportation plan that looks beyond the RTID?? Why has the County government done such a poor job of helping its citizens determine what the FINAL COST OF THE RTID WILL BE?

Microsoft and its spin offs along with the UW now dominate our local economy. How does this effect our future? Does anyone in the Council meet with the technology leaders to see what the region needs? Interaction of that sort are expected in San Diego, Cambridge and San Jose.

Some Dems oppose Richard because he is a new Dem, switching parties to obtain an opportunity. This would bother me if I felt the Republican party or the Democratic party had shown some consistency of their own. Richard's philosophy, a lot like my own, is not really left or right. It is, however, consistent, honest, intelligent and rational.

If our party can support conservatives like Sam Nunn, Jim Webb and Hillary it can support Richard.

I called him tonite to cheer him on and suggest he take Ross Perot's, hard assed factual approach. IMHO people are hungry for truth. I would love to see him use this as chance ot force a new, open and rational discussion.
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

8 comments:

Daniel Kirkdorffer said...

Does Richard have a better photo? He's a bit too... shiny in this one.

SM Schwartz said...

I agree and his site needs a lot more work.

I pushed him tonite to try and work with the Blogger-Darcy community.

Anonymous said...

Just trying again to see if I can post a comment. If not, will check again in a day or two. Thanks SJ!

SM Schwartz said...

looks fine from here! I welcome the company. Being away from HA can be lonely (grin) but I value the greater latitude I have here.

Anonymous said...

One thing I, personally, would like to see from Richard Pope if he wins this election is a little more oversight towards Executive Ron Sims' activities. Wishful thinking, I know, especially for a new Council Member who doesn't need to make enemies early in the game. Pope seems to do a lot on research on his own, rather than having a bunch of minions scurrying around doing it for him. I think he might be able to offer more insight before voting on issues, rather than merely rolling over - due to political wheeling & dealings and backroom deals.

Seems like EVERY time I turn around Sims is declaring King County can pay for this or that huge project. Gets kind of scary at times, wondering where all these big bucks are materializing from or what BASIC need is getting shortchanged in order to accommodate. That's how I think City Light has been run into the ground over the past several years.

SM Schwartz said...

I wonder can you put meat on these bones? What do you think Sims over spends on?

Anonymous said...

With Nichols hammering for every levy he can dredge up, we have Sims on the other hand adding more levies to the mix. Not saying the projects aren't needed or overspent (although, I truly wonder at times). Pricing property owners out of their homes as fast as they can. Here's a little sample of what I consider "meat".

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/328507_building22.html
"the ugliest building in the world."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/326463_parks06.html
"King County seems to forget that Seattle is part of King County," McIver said. "They're draining our tax base when we have our own parks levy that we are paying for, so we get double charged."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/325424_port28.html
Boeing Field vs. develop the corridor as a hiking and biking trail.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/321725_brightwater29.html
"Brightwater will serve future growth" - RON SIMS GUEST COLUMNIST

Not saying some of these things wouldn't be nice to have. But it seems like every time I turn around, there's clamoring for some new package deal. Maybe Sims and Nichols are in some competition as to who can raise property taxes fastest. Champagne appetites on beer budgets. Now everyone needs new rails or fast transit, the din is deafening already. The only people who will be able to afford living in Seattle will be the rich and richest, in my own opinion.

SM Schwartz said...

I do not see Sims the way you do .. I think this is Repubs making an issue of good planning. He seesm to me to be forst calss.

The examples you give are .. it seems to me really good ways to spend money. Brightwater is necessary. The rail corridor is a one time EVER opportunity that will have long term benefits, These are investments.

I worry more abut expenditures in Seattle that seem to me to subsidize rich folks and may actually reduce the value of the city as a place to live. Similarly I worry that RTID is a way of deferring current taxes by increasing long term debt.

Another example is the State expenditure on branch campuses. This is pork.