Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Right Flight IV

Tobey Nixon, a truely rational Repoublican, has today endorsed Mitt
Romney. I tried to post this at their site esop because someone using my name had supprted gthe nomination but the thread is being censored.

1. The Stephen Schwartz over there is not me.

2. I fully agree that Romney is the best, I would say the only rational choice as long as we are stuck with team politics. If he runs he will lose but he will d a lot less damage t the party than any of the others and, perhaps, creat a bais for reforming the Rovian mess.

My doubts about him are twofold. Being born a Mormon is no one's fault. But he has said things that cncern me, esp about his won role as a missionary and his sons lack of interest in service because of their role as missionaries. Also, the wonderful unity of the Mormon establishment, a good thing in many ways, would be a real liability to him as a President.

Finally, IMO, the next Republican candidate will lose. like Goldwater, but will open up a huge need to reform the party by moving the radicals out of power and hopefully out of the party. A Schwarznegger..McKay..Hagel..Romney "new" party is the best bet for the nation. I am skeptical that Romney has the courage to do this.

3. Why any of the above? Frankly if Biden, Obama, or Richardson wore different shirts, red instead of blue, they would be the heroes of the party today. What is there about any of these that would not make them a better President than any of the Republicans?

I wish the party thing would go away. I vote in what I consider a patriotic fashion. Romney is by far the best of a sad lot, but he has no international experience, has failed (like Hillary) to state a realistic policy on Iraq, and.. to be hinest, the lack of commitment by himself or his sons to our nation's service is worrisome.

So I agree with Tobey, Romney is the bhst choice, not even a bad choice, for the GOP. But, I believe many independents who might vote Republican, will vote for Mr. Obama if he (as I hope) is the D candidate.

BTW the same issues apply in ur State. I voted for mr, Rossi. But he is living in an rational world if he continues to run with mr. Guzzo. The GOP needs fresh, rational candidates.
span.fullpost {display:inline;}

No comments: